RWJBarnabas Health Heart, Vascular and Thoracic Services’ goal is to provide an integrated and patient centric network of comprehensive cardiovascular and thoracic care options for our patients which are locally based but nationally recognized. Our Academic Health System approach to care delivery provides our patients with improved access to NJ’s best cardiovascular and thoracic centers, produces results which exceed national quality benchmarks, features the latest technology and innovative trials, and ensures the best team of clinicians will be by your side whether you are getting a preventative EKG or a new heart.
To learn more about our services, please visit any of our pages below:
New Jersey’s Leading Heart, Vascular & Thoracic Services
Whether you are in need of care for high blood pressure, require heart surgery or are interested in ways to help keep your heart healthy, RWJBarnabas Health’s heart, vascular and thoracic care programs are here for you with:
- One of the top fifteen largest Heart Transplant programs in the nation with locations in Newark and New Brunswick which are the largest Pediatric Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery programs in the state.
- One of New Jersey’s highest performing Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacements (TAVR) programs.
- Two of the only care designation offering FFR-CT (Fractional Flow Reserve-Computed Tomography) in the state located in Lakewood in Newark.
- Leading specialists in cardiology, interventional cardiology, cardiac surgery, vascular surgery, and thoracic surgery who are at the forefront of innovation in critical care and the treatment of coronary artery and valvular diseases, heart rhythm disturbances, and vascular and thoracic disorders.
- A network of Cardiac Rehabilitation programs and hundreds of preventative and wellness programs designed to strengthen and protect healthy hearts.
- Access to the latest technology and medical advancements via access to many of the most renowned clinical trials.
- New Jersey’s only Advanced Lung Disease and Transplant Program.
Award-Winning and Accredited Heart, Vascular & Thoracic Care
As an award-winning cardiovascular and thoracic hospital network serving the tristate area, RWJBH Heart, Vascular & Thoracic provides patients and their families with the most comprehensive and compassionate care, such is reflected in the numerous awards and recognitions collected over the years. These include, but are not limited to:
- American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR): Cardiac and Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program Certifications
American Heart Association/American Stroke Association: Get With the Guidelines
- Quality Achievement Awards (Gold, Silver and Bronze) for the following
- Heart Failure
- The Joint Commission: Advanced Primary Stroke Center Certifications
- The New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services: Comprehensive Stroke Center Certifications
- Det Norske Verita – Germanischer Lloyd (DNV-GL): Primary Stroke Center Certifications
- The New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services: Primary Stroke Center Designations
- Extracorporeal Life Support Organization (ELSO): Extracorporeal Life Support Organization Silver Award
Intersocietal Accreditation Commission: Accredited in Echocardiography
for the following:
- Adult Transesophageal
- Adult Transthoracic
- Adult Stress Test
- The Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI): Assigned as Mentor Hospital Registry for Heart Failure
- One of only four institutions in New Jersey to have an FFR-CT (Fractional Flow Reserve-Computed Tomography) designation
The Joint Commission: Disease-Specific Care Certifications for the following:
- Acute Coronary Syndrome
- Heart Failure
- Cardiac rehabilitation
- Acute Myocardial Infarction
- Ventricular Assist Device
Our Heart, Vascular & Thoracic Specialists
Whether you have heart disease or need cardiac care for a child; if you have any type of vascular condition; or any thoracic disorder, we are here for you with our multidisciplinary teams comprised of cardiologists, interventional cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons, vascular surgeons, anesthesiologists, pulmonologists, and echocardiographers; alongside our dedicated team of nurses, technicians, pharmacists, and staff are skilled in all aspects of health care. Our teams are able to deliver comprehensive, compassionate care that uses evidence-based guidelines, as well as leading-edge noninvasive, invasive, diagnostic, and therapeutic techniques and therapies.
A Selection of Heart-Healthy Recipes
in Honor of 1,000 Hearts Transplanted
The heart-healthy recipes in this cookbook are brought to you by the Registered Dietitians and Wellness Team at the Reverend Dr. Ronald B. Christian Community Health & Wellness Center at Newark Beth Israel Medical Center and Children’s Hospital of New Jersey, RWJBarnabas Health facilities. Heart-healthy diets are beneficial for everyone and are not as intimidating or boring as they may sound.
Monmouth Medical Center Southern Campus Transforms Cardiac Care
Gerry Clyne: From The Heart
Glenn Harrison: Pathway to a Healthy Heart
Bruce Perhach: The Reason I'm Here (Life After A Severe Cardiac Event)
Tom Zakar: Quick Response to Eye-Opening Heart Attack
John Dziedic: Helping Others on the Road to Heart Recovery
More patient stories
Send An eCard To Someone You Love
During heart month, remind a loved one to get their heart checked.
Upcoming Community Events
We offer hundreds of wellness and prevention programs designed to keep your heart healthy!
Heart Care Blog
A healthy diet and lifestyle are your best weapons to fight cardiovascular disease. It’s not as hard as you may think! Remember, it's the overall pattern of your choices that counts. Make the simple steps below part of your life for long-term benefits to your health and your heart.
- How to Make Heart-Healthy Food Choices
- Heart-Healthy School Lunches
- Tips to Eat Heart-Healthy When Dining Out
- Heart Healthy Recipes