Comprehensive Cardiac Care, Treatment & Wellness Programs
RWJBarnabas Health has a passion for heart health. With the largest combined adult and pediatric cardiac surgery program in the state, NJ’s only heart and lung transplant programs, a partnership with Rutgers Health, the latest technology and medical advancements and nationally-renowned care for every heart in every community. RWJBH brings our care team and knowledge to you by delivering specialized cardiovascular care close to your home and family through NJ’s most comprehensive network of easily accessible hospitals, centers, and physician offices.
Whether you are in need of care for high blood pressure, require heart surgery or are interested in ways to help keep your heart healthy, RWJBarnabas Health’s heart, vascular and thoracic care programs are here for you with:
- One of the top ten largest Heart Transplant programs in the nation with locations in Newark and New Brunswick
- The largest adult and pediatric cardiac surgery programs in the state.
- One of New Jersey’s highest performing Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacements (TAVR) programs.
- Three of the only care destinations offering FFR-CT (Fractional Flow Reserve-Computed Tomography) in the state located in Jersey City, Lakewood in Newark.
- Leading specialists in cardiology, interventional cardiology, cardiac surgery, vascular surgery, and thoracic surgery who are at the forefront of innovation in critical care and the treatment of coronary artery and valvular diseases, heart rhythm disturbances, and vascular and thoracic disorders.
- The largest volume elective and emergent angioplasty program in the state.
- A network of Cardiac Rehabilitation programs and hundreds of preventative and wellness programs designed to strengthen and protect healthy hearts.
- Access to the latest technology and medical advancements via access to many of the most renowned clinical trials.
- Over 100 conveniently located cardiologists across 30 practices with offices throughout our communities who are able to customize personal care plans and provide the outpatient treatments needed to keep you and your loved ones healthy.
- The Cardio-Oncology Program at Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey and RWJBarnabas Health is a multi-disciplinary collaboration between oncologists and cardiologists who are highly proficient in the care of cancer patients. The program offers adult and pediatric patients specialized care to identify and minimize the risk of heart disease throughout the cancer journey including survivorship.
Cardiology & Interventional Cardiology
RWJBarnabas Health’s outstanding cardiologists are also leading researchers who are influencing modern cardiovascular medicine. They include some of the nation’s top specialists in cardiac imaging and interventional cardiology, offering patients access to the most advanced tools for diagnostic and therapeutic interventions.
New Jersey’s Top Heart Surgery Program
RWJBarnabas Health’s premier cardiac services provide immediate access to highly sophisticated heart surgery such as aortic repairs and reoperative procedures. Members of the surgical team are recognized leaders in the field of cardiothoracic surgery and are advancing the latest minimally invasive repairs and transcatheter valve replacement techniques. Whether you need surgery on multiple valves, multiple bypasses, or suffered an aortic emergency we offer patients the most advanced therapies to ensure a faster recovery times with fewer complications.
Pediatric Cardiac Surgery
The Children’s Heart Center at Children’s Hospital of New Jersey at Newark Beth Israel Medical Center is the state’s largest and most comprehensive center for diagnosis and treatment of children with cardiac conditions, adults with congenital heart disease and for expectant mothers whose fetus may have a heart issue.
The Children’s Heart Center is the only program in New Jersey that can provide the complete range of medical and surgical treatments for the most complex cardiac abnormalities. From fetal echocardiography to life-long care for adults with congenital heart disease, families turn to the experienced team of cardiac specialists for the finest care close to home.
New Jersey’s Leading TAVR Program
As New Jersey's most extensive health care network, RWJBarnabas Health is one of the state's highest performing health care systems for Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR). Available at Newark Beth Israel Medical Center, Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital and Cooperman Barnabas Medical Center, an expandable artificial valve is threaded through a blood vessel to the heart on the tip of a catheter. Physicians, using state-of-the art imaging technology to place the new valve, which begins to work immediately, typically go home the following day.
Hope. Health. Hearts. All transplanted here.
The RWJBarnabas Health Heart Failure and Transplant program is one of the most experienced and comprehensive programs in New Jersey and one of the 15 largest programs in the United States. It is the site of the first heart transplant in New Jersey and has celebrated more than 1,100 heart transplants.
For those advanced heart failure patients awaiting a transplant we continue to be NJ’s longest running ventricular assist device (VAD) implant program. VADs are commonly used as a bridge therapy for people waiting for a heart transplant who are not currently eligible for a heart transplant because of other medical conditions, who have heart failure and must wait until their hearts are healthy enough to pump blood on their own again, or who have heart failure but aren’t good candidates for a heart transplant.
Ventricular Assist Devices
For those patients awaiting a transplant or receiving long-term therapy, another option may be a ventricular assist device (VAD). VADs are commonly used as a temporary treatment for people waiting for a heart transplant who are not currently eligible for a heart transplant because of other medical conditions, who have heart failure and must wait until their hearts are healthy enough to pump blood on their own again, or who have heart failure but aren’t good candidates for a heart transplant.
Research & Clinical Trials
The heart and vascular care centers at RWJBarnabas Health participate in more clinical research trials than any other heart care program in New Jersey. This prominent cardiovascular research helps patients gain access to promising new treatments and technology.
The cardiovascular research team participates in industry-sponsored and investigator-initiated research projects in a variety of subspecialties. The cardiac teams work closely to incorporate the latest research findings into the comprehensive care that helps to improve the lives of its patients.
In addition to providing the most advanced and thorough cardiac imaging services, state-of-the-art techniques support RWJBarnabas Health’s cardiovascular surgeons in the planning of complex cardiothoracic procedures and are a resource in the management of complex cardiac disease.
Screening & Prevention
From elementary school classrooms to senior centers, RWJBarnabas Health’s team of physicians, nurses, emergency medical technicians and nutritionists are educating members of the community about how to keep their hearts strong and offering prevention and wellness programs designed to strengthen and protect healthy hearts.
Up and Running: Alejandro’s Story
Innovative Heart Valve Replacement at Jersey City Medical Center
Doyle Sutton: Back in Action
Monmouth Medical Center Southern Campus Transforms Cardiac Care
Gerry Clyne: From The Heart
Glenn Harrison: Pathway to a Healthy Heart
Bruce Perhach: The Reason I'm Here (Life After A Severe Cardiac Event)
Tom Zakar: Quick Response to Eye-Opening Heart Attack
John Dziedic: Helping Others on the Road to Heart Recovery
More patient stories
Send An eCard To Someone You Love
During heart month, remind a loved one to get their heart checked.
Upcoming Community Events
We offer hundreds of wellness and prevention programs designed to keep your heart healthy!
Heart Care Blog
A healthy diet and lifestyle are your best weapons to fight cardiovascular disease. It’s not as hard as you may think! Remember, it's the overall pattern of your choices that counts. Make the simple steps below part of your life for long-term benefits to your health and your heart.
- How to Make Heart-Healthy Food Choices
- Heart-Healthy School Lunches
- Tips to Eat Heart-Healthy When Dining Out
- Heart Healthy Recipes